It’s hard to believe that the first week of school is here!
First and foremost, I would like to take a moment to welcome you and your family to another year at Keating Out-of-School Care. You should have received an email with additional information about your child(ren)’s room placement and leaders for Before and/or After School Care, as well as the September newsletter with important dates and information.
The first week of school can be a bit chaotic in terms of attendance, especially on days with early dismissal and/or kindergarten gradual entry. Because the schedule is so different, there is a high demand for drop-in care from families who may not ordinarily be registered on certain days. On the other hand, many families with regular spaces opt to make alternate pick-up arrangements during those first few days rather than send their child to KOSC.
A few quick reminders:
– KOSC is closed for the stat holiday on Monday, September 4th.
– Tuesday, September 5th is the first day of classes for children in Grades 1 – 5. Class will run from 8:40am to 10:15am for these grades. KOSC will be open for Before School Care from 7:00am to 8:40am, and for After School Care from 10:15am to 6:00pm. We can also provide full-day care for any Kindergarten children who are ordinarily registered to attend on Tuesdays.
– Wednesday, September 6th is a regular day for Grades 1 – 5, and it is the first day of Gradual Entry for children in Kindergarten. If your Kindergarten child is registered for Wednesday Before School Care, you may drop them off at KOSC as early as 7:00am and must pick them up by 2:46pm; if they are registered in Wednesday After School Care, you may drop them off after 8:40am and must pick them up by 6:00pm. (If they are registered for both Before AND After School Care, you can drop off and pick up any time between 7:00am and 6:00pm. 🙂 )
Some parents prefer to drop their child off and/or pick them up from their classroom session directly, which is totally fine — we just need to know which time periods we should be expecting your child to be at KOSC.
– Gradual Entry continues for Kindergarten students on September 7th, 8th, 11th, and 12th. On Wednesday, September 13th, all students will be on the regular class schedule of 8:40am to 2:46pm, and Before and After School Care will proceed as normal.
– If your child has a regular space for Before and/or After School Care, you MUST inform us if he or she will not be in attendance on a day that they would ordinarily attend. This is especially critical for After School Care, as if a child does not show up within ten minutes after dismissal time, we must call you to confirm their absence and, in the event that we are unable to reach you, we will need to initiate our Missing Child Procedure.
Licensing requires that we are informed of absences by the parent or guardian, so even if the school office or your child’s teacher tells us that your child is away or was picked up early, we still need you to call or send an email to let KOSC know, as well.
Thank you in advance!
Please note that if your child is attending both Before and After School Care, their portable placement may be different in the mornings and afternoons. The Morning or Afternoon Supervisor will be able to direct you and your child to the correct portable.
If your child is in Grade 4 or 5, they have been assigned to the Lions Hall for any days that they are registered for Before and/or After School Care. This is the first year that we have used Lions Hall for Before School Care, so please make sure that you review the information in the newsletter about drop-off times for mornings.
Finally, I would like to invite everyone to take a moment to read over the latest edition of the Parent Handbook and Registration Information Sheet. There have been some policy updates in recent months, so I encourage everyone to review this important information.
Parent Handbook 2017-2018
Registration Information Sheet 2017-18
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me. We are looking forward to another fun and exciting year here at KOSC!